Thread: Bad Practice!
View Single Post
Old October 14, 2012, 12:34 PM   #17
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Have to concur with the others. First if you need to do a quick draw you might want to rethink where you are the next time. Second the draw should be practiced from all the places you ever carry a gun, shoulder, hip, back pocket crossdraw et al.

It has always been my philosophy since I grew up some and got over the Wyatt Earp syndrome that the first good shot wins the fight not the first shot. I practice my draw to make a good draw which means not getting hung up in my clothing or throwing my gun towards the enemy before I have a chance to shoot it. (Do not ask how I know these things) You might beat me to the draw with your gun in the fast draw position but I won;t miss, I'm to old and slow to rely on luck so I better do it right the first time.

When I do a strong side draw or a weak side cross draw from a holster on my hip my weak hand goes to my solar plexus no matter what my shooting position or stance is when the draw is clean and clear or to my clothing to clear a path if wearing clothing that could impede the draw. It doesn't matter if I am going to shoot one handed or 2 hand.

It has been my philosophy since I grew up and got over the Wyatt Earp syndrome of lighting fast draw was mandatory that the first good shot wins the fight not the first shot. I'm to old and to slow to be beating anybody to the draw so I don't dare miss when I do get into shooting position.

Used to be pretty quick when I was younger, I also hit furniture with the barrel while drawing, hit a TV with the gun from 6' away, almost hit the dog and dropped the gun after snagging it on my jacket or a shirt worn outside the belt. Took awhile to realize a good draw was a sure draw not a fast draw that might not leave you in control of the gun. I'd rather find a tree to hide behind while I draw a gun and not do a Dodge Street at high noon thing.

I'm not in uniform anymore and I don't dress to fight boogermen every day, that's why we have cops and the cops better have their guns in hand already if they expect to be facing an armed man with bad intentions.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--

Page generated in 0.02496 seconds with 8 queries