View Single Post
Old December 4, 2005, 11:09 PM   #10
Nnobby45

Some thoughts

Quote:
Might be a little scant on penetration........
Brenneke's are not scant on penetration. Foster slugs are made of soft lead so the hollow base can expand so they don't rattle down the bore. The hollow base keeps the weight forward for stabilization. Some swear by them for critters the size of black bear or deer.

Brennekes are hard, with either a felt stabilizer secured to the base with a screw, as in their 2 3/4" 1 1/8 oz, or a plastic arrangement used in the 1oz. I'm referring to Rottweil brand Brennekes. The attached stabilizers stay with the slug and go into the target.

A Brenneke may go into a target at .72 cal and come out the same size. If you had heavy bones to go through and you had a shotgun, then Brennekes will give you the penetration you may need. Only the Sabot is capable of deeper penetration. The Rottweils chrono'd at 1375fps for the 1oz, and 1340 for the 1 1/8 load. This from my 18" Scattergun Tech. They are fairly pleasant to shoot--unlike Federal Classics (Foster type), which belt me pretty good and chrono at 1495 fps.

Against something that could eat me for breakfast, I might consider 3" Brennekes and make sure I could shoot them rapidly, though I wouldn't feel underarmed with 2.75".

Page generated in 0.03446 seconds with 8 queries