View Single Post
Old April 15, 2013, 01:50 PM   #19
Kochman

Definitely some good comments here.
I like that people are thinking about it. I can respect thought out answers, even if I disagree, way more than knee-jerk answers which I believe screw us in the long run.

@Barry Lee
Quote:
Yes, I understand your point of view, but I wonder if you have read the Machin/Toomey Bill and see how convoluted it really is.
I read a good amount of it before I drowned in the legalese. I think, for the most part, it is pretty good, actually. Way better than what Schumer wanted, which was what the DoJ said would need a registry.
Also, keep in mind, Holder is going to say he needs a registry in pretty much any situation. Perdy much his knee-jerk, which helps us.
Creative minds can come up with other ideas for background checks to be way less invasive...

Quote:
Also, as you yourself pointed out the bad guys will just ignore it. At the end of the day it just creates more bureaucracy and cost for the law abiding and does nothing to stop the criminal.
However, 120k people were stopped... now, if you knew that people had to get a background check to buy guns, wouldn't you yet further question someone who wanted to buy from you but refused to use this form?
I don't think beyond a few bucks and some time of their day it costs the law abiding citizens anything.

@Overhead & JimDandy, we're pretty much on the same page.

@Webleymkv
Yes, that's the problem... the gun grabbers won't rest... so I somewhat understand a "make no compromise" position, until we consider the costs. Again, I think it's a cut off one's nose despite one's face stance which will hasten the reoccurence of the next massacre, which the more frequent they are the more likely BAD change is coming our way.

@Spats,
The good guys will use them because we're the good guys. Theives etc will break the law, but if they are shown to have already been breaking the law to get the gun it goes over a lot better than, "he apparently purchased two pistols with high capacity magazines at a local gunshow, no questions asked"...
Regarding #4... again, remember, the Constitution is a flawed document. When it was written, believe me, they didn't let the village idiot go around toting a gun, nor the clearly insane, nor the slaves (or indentured servants perhaps also?)... it was never a total and free right, it was always regulated.

@Zincwarrior, exactly! That's why I said, the same kind of checks one would use to clear someone to rent a house out... not "gun specific".

Page generated in 0.03403 seconds with 8 queries