View Single Post
Old January 7, 2013, 05:00 PM   #1
rodfac

Sako Mannlicher in .222 Magnum

I've been working up loads for a new to me (vintage 1966) Sako L461 Mannlicher in .222 Magnum. Midway still carries brass in that odd caliber and bullets have been no problem to date. Both Hornady and Sierra 53 gr Match HP's do extremely well...and BL-C(2) is the powder of choice so far.

The .222 Magnum case closely resembles a 5.56 mm or .223, but with a longer neck and a shoulder that's a bit farther forward. It was a fore-runner to the 5.56 mm, designed to meet Ordnance specifications when they were looking for a .22 battle rifle...the M-16. As I understand it, the round was a bit too long overall, and the Army decided on the 5.56 mm instead. Remington brought it out as the .222 Magnum, but it's been dying for many years, unable to compete with the shorter .222 and .223's.

The gun itself weighs just 7 lbs on my wife's kitchen scale, complete with a Leupold Alaskan 4x scope in Redfield mounts, and a home made sling. I've been looking for one of these L461's for many years, off and on, after trying one while in college. It's a joy to carry here on the farm, and an absolute death ray on crows. Haven't tried it on wood chucks or pigeons yet.

Initially, I was worried about the effect of a full length Mannlicher stock on accuracy, especially with that heavy steel Schnabel piece just below the front sight...but no worries as the target below will attest. Shot from a back porch rail rest with only my fore arm supported, it's undoubtedly the best group I've ever shot from that slightly precarious perch. I managed that group, 1-1/4", center to center, at 220 yds, measured. The scope's a good one, with just a 7/8" tube but clear and bright, and just right for the rifle. Wish Leupold still made them; as they're perfect on a Marlin lever gun as well...

Any body else shooting these little Sako's? This one is a peach and just right for an afternoon's walk-about.

Best regards, Rod.

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Page generated in 0.02743 seconds with 8 queries