View Single Post
Old August 2, 2009, 09:59 PM   #10
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

I got my Green Mountain match barreled 10/22 specifically for competition at 50' and was having a terrible time with any ammo including the most expensive match ammo I could order. Eventually I replaced the trigger, and I cleaned all of the flashing out of the stock, (it is synthetic), and it got better but was still getting my tail handed to me every week. Finally stopped shooting those matches and just used it as a plinker using cheap bulk ammo. I shot it often, put on a better scope and cleaned it often and vigorously.

5 years later I am again shooting matches with that same gun and even with cheap bulk ammo hold my own and with Winchester Super X at 100 and Remington Golden Bullet at 25 and 50 yards I am winning more than I lose. Apparently it just took that long for that barrel to get shot in and start shooting straight.

Before getting to discouraged with your gun know that I also have a 10/22 carbine with the stainless skinny barrel that I use for the iron sight matches and it is as accurate as my Marlin 60 or my Savage single shot. I have been told that the 10/22 would never shoot very good but they do now. You already got advice on floating the barrel, a good trigger job is a great way to make your shots consistent, my first trigger was just awful. A decent scope with good optics may seem like an expensive bite but oh what a difference. My eyes used to be fried after 25 shots, now a match of 100 rounds still is pretty tiring for these old eyes but I am not fried the way I used to be.

The last thing is just try a little better bullet, stay away from the soft lightweight super get up and go bullets and waxy lead bullets. I find most any 40 gr solids or 38 gr hp that is plated is more consistent. The Federal bulk I have left is now relegated to tin can shooting and the yellow jackets and stingers etc I shoot in my pistol not my rifles. When they are gone they will stay gone unless I can't find anything else.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--

Page generated in 0.02371 seconds with 8 queries