Thread: Colt 1860 Help
View Single Post
Old December 14, 2007, 12:45 AM   #1
wolfgunner5150

Colt 1860 Help

Hi I have been looking at black powder pistols for some time and finally broke down and got one. The one I chose is a Colt 1860 3rd gen. with a fluted cylinder. I was able to find a generic manual by Cimarron but I still have some things I would like to ask.
  • Should I use the stock nipples that look very clean or should I change them out, if yes what brand and why?
  • What are the best brand and size caps to use?
  • What is the best brand of powder to use?
  • What is the best size ball to use in a 44 and what brand?
  • What is better grease or pre-lubed patches and what brand should I use?
  • What is the best way to clean a black powder firearm? The manual said dish soap and water and then a light oiling but are there better products out there if so what ones should I use?
  • What accessories should I get to make the loading and unloading as easy as possible and for the problems you have run in to?
  • What is the best place for information on the internet for black powder firearms?
  • What is the best place to buy all these things?
  • To disassemble do I just tap out the wedge or do I need to turn the screw above it. If I just tap it out what is the screw for?

As you can probably tell I am new to black powder and any help you can give will be greatly appreciated. I have wanted an old Colt since I was a kid watching Clint Eastwood movies so when I came across this one on gun broker with the fluted cylinder I had to give in and get it.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=85888131
P.S. Can anyone tell me anything about the fluted cylinder…Thanks

Page generated in 0.02406 seconds with 8 queries