View Single Post
Old December 6, 2005, 09:48 AM   #12
Old Dragoon

Crooked Front sight.....

I just discovered that the front sight on my first '58 was crooked. The flats were cocked to the left enough(from the rear) that when you looked at it straight on from the muzzle you could see along the full flat of the sight. This could explain some of the left grouping for sure. Someting else that I don't like, I notice on this same gun, that there is an indentation in the rifling at the sight of the front sight...and the rammer stop. just a trace, but you can see them. If they were completely in the grooves I'd not think much about that but they are in the groove and part of the lands. Now i do not know if the one under the froint sight would affect accuracy or not, so close to the muzzle, but the rammer indentation is further from the muzzle.
What do you all think?

There is no indentations at all in the bore of my newer '58.

This might add fuel to Mike's personal thoughts about buying off the net instead of Cabelea's. Also you can bet that the next one I handle or buy will be checked for this imperfection first. Good reason to haul around a borelight with you at gunshows. You can bet I'll check this out from now on.

Page generated in 0.02232 seconds with 8 queries