View Single Post
Old December 5, 2005, 09:28 AM   #10
Low Key

I spent some time yesterday at the local range with a couple of buddies and wow did we have a good time! I think I’ve about got them both talked into buying a 58 Remington. We shot muzzle loading rifles, 38 spec. hangun, shotgun, 30-30 rifle, and the 58. Out of all those guns, the 58 got the most attention.

Between all of us, we shot 36 shots from the Remington. One guy that was there with me has shot the Remington once before but both of them had questions about how to load it, switching cylinders, cleaning, refinishing, cost of buying one, etc. They both liked the look of the gun over most modern pistols and the way it rolls up in your hand as it recoils.

I was shooting one handed so that is how they both shot the pistol too. I shot from about 15 yards and my target had one big hole slightly larger than a silver dollar on the bullseye and just slightly on the left. The other guys haven’t shot pistols much before so they were shooting from about half my distance and pretty much scattered but still had all shots on the paper.

My group being on the left is my fault and not the pistol. I group left with other pistols because I tend to toe the barrel over with my trigger pull at the last second before the shot goes. I’m still working on that perfect straight back trigger pull, but this pistol is a tack driver! I’m convinced that someone steadier than me could put 6 shots through the same hole at 25 yards.

Many thanks to Mike for all the hints and advice on working this gun up to a precision machine! Here’s what I have done to the pistol and my shooting setup:
Polished the cylinder pin to almost a mirror shine, also chamfered and polished the cylinder pin holes in the cylinders and also on the pistol, slightly chamfered the cylinder mouths so that they no longer shave lead off the balls when rammed home, polished all the internal components of the trigger and hammer, lightened the trigger spring slightly, smoothed all burrs out of the inside of the barrel with lapping compound. Target shooting yesterday I used 30 grains of goex, a dry vegetable fiber wad, just a tiny bit of bore butter over the wad, .454 cal hornady round ball, Remington # 11 caps.

This pistol feels like it’s running on ball bearings. We did not clean anything on the pistol between cylinders yesterday and it functioned perfectly for every shot: no cylinder binding or dragging, and the cylinder pin pulled right out after every cylinder full with no need to tap it at all.

Thanks to Mike and everyone else for all the great info! Now to do the same thing to my target version 58!

Page generated in 0.02124 seconds with 8 queries