Thread: 44 mag rifle
View Single Post
Old June 26, 2013, 06:35 AM   #13
Salmoneye

Quote:
I didn't say the SAAMI specs were the same for rifle and pistol, I said the actions of both were built "for the same SAAMI bullet specs"(you quoted me on this) which is a max pressure of 36,000 PSI . Same goes for the case dimensions. This again tells me what is safe in one is safe in the other. My error was calling the cartridge a bullet. My bad there.
The difference between the data for H110 and W296 can easily be explained by normal variations lot to lot...This has nothing to do with you agreeing that all data for rifle and pistol are all the same for the manuals you named...

Not only do the groove dimensions differ by .003" (.429"-.431"), but the bore dimensions differ as follows:

44 Mag Bore:

Pistol = .417" ; Rifle = .424"

The very fact that the bore and groove dimensions ARE different can create different pressure curves with the SAME ammo...Factory ammo is a one size fit all, but hand loaders need to be aware that there are dimensional differences from one to the other in .44 Mag...I am unaware of any other 'cartridge' that is intentionally spec'd differently between rifle and pistol...

A load that is safe in MY carbine today, may very well create a high pressure situation in my pistol, or any other gun...

Page generated in 0.03076 seconds with 8 queries