View Single Post
Old January 21, 2012, 12:23 PM   #26
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Buck, I think at this point we are all confused. The OP (original poster) has said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlewolf2
Fifth as far as my own charge goes it was a felony but was knocked down to a misdemeanor. It currently is classified as a misdemeanor but since it was a Felony initially it triggered the Gun Control Act and is still in effect despite the current status.
and then

Quote:
My right to vote and help determine how this country is run has been restored, but by Second amendment right to bear arms has been taken away just doesn't seem right.
From the first of these two statements, it sounds like a plea bargain, but it isn't clear. It could also have been a post-sentence reduction as some sort of accelerated rehabilitation thing, I suppose. Either way, though, at this point it should be showing up in the state's records as a misdemeanor conviction. Then the question becomes, was the maximum POSSIBLE sentence for that misdemeanor more or less than two years?

As to the second, if the OP's right to vote has been restored, then according to the GCA he is not considered to be a prohibited person unless the restoration specifically noted that his rights were restored conditional upon his not being allowed to possess firearms. For a state conviction, the Federal law only requires restoration of rights by the state, so I can't understand what all the fuss is about. Somebody has given him extremely bad advice, and he is now convinced that the bad advice is correct and that we are all wrong.

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; January 21, 2012 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Typo

Page generated in 0.03319 seconds with 8 queries