View Single Post
Old February 15, 2009, 03:09 PM   #83
BoulderTroll

Firepower, first you wrote this:
Quote:
I would rather pick mp5 sd or M4 with a suppressor. I just dont like to ruin my walls with shotgun shells and lets say the battle moves to outdoors i am at disadvantage with every yard of growing distance.
Then you wrote this:

Quote:
"Remember, your gun will be seized as evidence until you are cleared of an unlawful homicide."

Again, why does everyone comfortably ignores the assumptions made in the initial post like cost is not a factor. Gun being siezed is a cost. What does it take for some of you to answer a simple question based on simple assumptions. If you cant answer that, I am doubtful if you are even qualified to own a weapon let alone talk about its use.
What the heck??? I'd submit that having holes in your walls from using a shotgun is a "cost" that you shouldn't be factoring in, if you were to follow your own advice.

Call me crazy, but if I have multiple attackers inside my house and need to use a shotgun, subgun, etc. to defend my home...I don't give a rat's behind what my walls will look like afterwards. In fact I'd go so far as to say that if multiple bad guys are breaking into my home then I really must live in a ****hole, third-world of not, as you objected to.

As for the original question, I voted "no". I've carried and trained with an MP5 at work for about 5 years before switching to an M4. The MP5 certainly has great attributes but I don't think of it as the wonder-gun that some of you do. I admit it is far easier for most people to use than a shotgun (IME). From what I've seen an MP5 is probably the easiest weapon to teach a new shooter to use. They do have shortcomings, however. It doesn't penetrate body armor (which is becoming increasingly common), and 9mm, even multiple 9mm's, are not the best round in the world as far as instant incapacitation.

Also, an MP5 SD is not a small weapon IMHO. I'm sure your house is bigger than mine but in my apartment, with narrow walls and stairwells, a pistol would be a much handier option. Besides, I come from the mind-set that I'm accountable for every round I put downrange. Forget about legal consequences and property damage...I have a family and every shot that misses the bad guy has a chance of hitting a loved one.

That said, my personally owned home defense gun is my Colt lower with a Noveske N4 14.5" upper. It is semi-auto only but even if it were FA I'd only use it on semi. It has less over-penetration than a pistol or shotgun, although, like I said, in my size apartment there would be a strong argument to use a pistol instead.

In closing I'd just add that I hope you were joking. If you really are concerned about the condition of your walls after the gunfight, then I am doubtful if you are even qualified to own a weapon let alone talk about its use.

Page generated in 0.03004 seconds with 8 queries