View Single Post
Old August 4, 1999, 10:31 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Sid, it just depends on what you're after. If you just want a pistol that will be reasonably accurate just get a standard barrel. Colt, Springfield and even mil-spec barrels are very accurate in the 1911 when matched up with a properly fitted bushing and the right link. I can also recommend the Wilson full length guide rod with Group Gripper for these barrels. Since they aren't oversize and don't usually need fitting they can be a little loose in the rear lock up. The Group Gripper will take care of that. Most of the big name drop-ins qualify their product by the fine print that says little or no fitting required. The lock-up and the bushing are the two most important factors when accuracy is concerned. You can pay $300 for a super duper match grade barrel but if it isn't fitted properly a stock barrel that is will shoot rings around it. Another thing you might consider is this: it has been my experience that unless you are very, very good with a pistol or do all your shooting from a rest, you will never see the difference in a match grade and a standard barrel if both are fitted correctly. One of the most accurate 1911 barrels I've ever put into a pistol went into a gun of my own. I paid $9.95 for it from Gun Parts Corporation and all it needed was a little metal removed from one side of the hood. But, if you want to spend $150.00 for a Wilson, Brown etc. drop-in, go ahead and buy a gunsmith fit for the same price and have it installed. George

Page generated in 0.03417 seconds with 8 queries