View Single Post
Old July 11, 2013, 04:42 AM   #67
Sevens

Welcome, and enjoy.

I couldn't recommend a -fast- powder like W231 for this round, unless you were loading some of the 71gr FMJ pills designed for the .32 Auto. (which I do... simply because I have a couple thousand of them) I don't run them with W231 as I don't keep that powder, but I've run them with Bullseye and Titegroup. The key when running these bullets is to keep a handle on the speed. As they were never designed to run crazy-high velocities that the .327 Federal is capable of, they could damage the forcing cone of any revolver you attempt to hotrod them in. I tend to keep my 71's at 1,300fps or under. Even that is probably faster than I'll ever need them to go. Those little slugs don't do anything for me other than plink. Even running them fast won't knock down steel plates all too well.

For running the 85 and 100gr XTPs, or the Sierra 90gr JHP's, you'll make far better use of a slower "magnum" kind of powder. Alliant 2400 has done well for me and AA#9 has turned in some terrific numbers. I've done poorly with the Power Pro 300MP thus far...

And I like a nice medium powder for the 115gr cast lead slugs -- Universal works for me, but I'm quite sure that Unique would do a fine job.

Page generated in 0.03430 seconds with 8 queries