View Single Post
Old January 7, 2012, 12:41 PM   #56
kraigwy

I said I wasn’t going to comment unless responding to someone who actually tried “drawing while covered” but we’ve seen to have lost track of what I’m saying.

We’ve all seen “gun fights” on TV, where Mat Dillon steps out in the street, stands there all quite and calm until the bandit draws then Marshal Dillon out draws him.

We all know, or should know, that isn’t the way it happens. When someone pulls a gun in a robbery or such, there is a lot of screaming and jumping around. One screaming, “Give me your wallet, don’t move” etc etc. The Victim is yelling “don’t shoot, don’t shoot” or whatever, you get the ideal.

The bandit expects the victim to comply, the victim expects the bandit to shoot. Either way, both are waiting for something to happen. No one is expecting the victim to draw.

Think about your time on the range. How many times have you shot while talking? I don’t mean start a sentence, stop a second to shoot, and then finish the shooting. I’m talking about talking and shooting.

If you’re talking, you’re not shooting, if your shooting, you’re not talking. Same with breathing, you always stop breathing while pulling the trigger, it’s a natural act. Something you don’t really have to train yourself to do.

You need to get the bandit to talk, (easy to do). The way I demonstrate this is to have the student point at the target, I tell him as soon as he sees me start to draw to fire. Then I ask him tell me what he’s going to do to make sure he understands what is going to happen. He starts to reply and I shoot, simple, works ever time even though he knows I have a gun and I’m going to draw and shoot. I get him every time.

Now as to air soft and paint ball guns ‘n such. I don’t use them simply because I never seen one that matches my 642 and will fit in my pocket. They just don’t match my method of carry.

As to, “drawing from concealed. Yap, I agree it’s slow. Concealed is concealed, for most it requires pulling up your shirt or jacket to get to the gun. Then you have to get the gun out without snagging.

Again, that’s not how I carry. I pocket carry. I’ve always been sloppy, walking around with my hands in my pocket. Even when I was in the army I was always in trouble for my “air force gloves”.

Don’t know if anyone remembers but a while back I posted a picture of a sniper school I was teaching. In the picture I was in uniform, standing behind a spotting scope with my hands in my pocket. There were several comments about not being a professional infantry officer, setting a bad example and such.

I always have, bad habit or not, I still do it, and that’s the pocket I carry my 642. I tried it last week when thinking about another topic. Using a shot timer it took me .43 seconds to get the shot off. Yeah I use one hand; if you’ve read many of my post you’ll know I’m a proponent of one hand pistol/revolver use.

If the bandit is talking it’s going to take him a lot longer the .43 seconds to realize I’m drawing, then to stop talking and fire.

Below is a picture of me with my granddaughter taken a couple years ago, notice my hand in my pocket, guess where my 642 is.

Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.04019 seconds with 8 queries