View Single Post
Old August 30, 2013, 07:09 AM   #6
JimmyR

It seems like you have thought out the costs and benefits between revolvers and semi-autos- there's no absolute wrong answer, just the answer that's wrong for you.

I would echo a few points made by others:

Like ClydeFrog suggested, for a carry revolver, I would stick to Ruger LCR/SP101 or S&W J frame for easier concealability, especially if you are going to be carrying OWB.

As has been said, concealing an OWB holster is more difficult, but doable. I would consider a pancake style holster for this job- they tend to hold tighter to the body and higher on the torso.

I also highly discourage kydex OWB for conceal carry. They are great for range carry, but I strongly suggest you look for a leather holster for concealed carry. They are slimmer, quieter, and easier on your gun's finish. They do great when mounted on leather for IWB holsters, but for your use, I would strongly reccomend leather.

As to the hammer question, I think you would be better served getting a hammerless or bobbed hammer weapon if it's available- it doesn't make as much a difference with OWB carry, but that hammer can be a pain if you decide to try IWB carry.

Now, if I were going to make a reccomendation for an IDEAL package for you, with no knowledge of your body type/comfort level/budget-

I'd suggest looking at the LCR in .357 or a S&W J frame (Model 642/638/similar) with a Barsony Leather Pancake Holster (like this one) with a good sturdy gun belt. I have never shot the LCR, but the only reason I suggest it instead of the SP101 is size- when concealing an OWB weapon, size only makes it harder to conceal. The SP101 isn't much bigger, so it might not make too much of a difference for you, but I'd go smaller were it me.

I would also look into getting some Bianchi speed strips (easier to conceal than speed loaders) for carrying extra rounds.

Page generated in 0.03418 seconds with 8 queries