View Single Post
Old February 7, 2011, 12:07 AM   #7
Bill Akins

Yellowlegs, if you take it back and they offer you another one just like it and you think that one's front sight looks okay, do this before you accept it as a replacement.

Take a little pocket flashlight with you to the store. Shine the light into the end of the barrel and then cock the hammer to rotate the cylinder and lock it and look at each and every separate cylinder chamber from the muzzle end of the barrel.

You are looking to make sure that each cylinder chamber indexes perfectly with the barrel. You want to see the inside of the barrel and the chamber of each separate cylinder chamber perfectly in line with the barrel. You do NOT want to see metal on either side of each chamber. If you see that, that means the hole of your chamber is not perfectly in line with your barrel.
Which is sloppy measuring/manufacturing of boring the holes in the cylinder
at the exact correct locations.

That can cause you to spit lead out the side of the barrel to cylinder gap. It is true that the forcing cone on the breech end of the barrel will sometimes correct and "funnel" the ball correctly into the barrel even if you have a cylinder or two that is off just a little and not perfectly aligned with the barrel. (Which is actually a more common flaw than one would think).

But it is much better if each chamber is ALREADY perfectly aligned with the barrel when the hammer is fully cocked rather than relying on the forcing cone to counteract that alignment flaw. If it isn't, look at another revolver until you find one that all the cylinders perfectly match up with the barrel by you looking down the barrel as you check each chamber with your light.

I know you are new at this so I just wanted to advise you to check this.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; February 7, 2011 at 06:25 PM.

Page generated in 0.03239 seconds with 8 queries