View Single Post
Old November 30, 2001, 07:43 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

It's a cheap copy of an excellent design. As mentioned elsewhere, Norinco has not much rep for warranty work, and quality seems to vary greatly.

The M-14 copy they make breaks down a lot, and parts are off spec. Receivers are soft, to the point where many smiths who do High Power Match rifles refuse to work on them.

OTOH, their GM copy has been used by top smiths to make race guns.

I've reservations about using ChiCom made anything. You may note they're the only major power not even paying lip service to the War against Terror.

As for the REAL 97, it is in many ways the best fighting shotgun ever made. Superbly reliable, good capacity, simple MOA, ambidextrous, it's major flaw is it requires precision machining and lots of hand labor to make.Triggers usually need some attention. JMB must have had hands like his Blacksmith Grandpa.

However, the 97's rapidly moving into collector status. A 97 collector may have as much tied up in his guns as a Parker collector who goes for field grades.

One was part of my crew equipment long ago and far away in a place full of ChiCom guns.Wish I still had it, and a certain M-14 also.

For $350, one can get a new 870 in the Police model w/ 2 shot mag extension, some ammo and some range time. For less than $300, one can get a used Police turnin 870, LOTS of ammo, and mo' range time.

Page generated in 0.03341 seconds with 8 queries