View Single Post
Old May 12, 2013, 09:01 AM   #16
Mike / Tx

I guess I load very similar to what was mentioned on how the factory loads. I pick a bullet weight I like or want to use that is usually in the middle or higher end weight for caliber. Then I will work up a good accurate load using a powder that is in the middle to slower end of the listed powders for that particular caliber. Once there I usually KEEP that load and go on happily about my business. Later on I might try out a couple of other powders and may even switch to something else if it seems to be an improvement.

As for my revolver and pistol loads, pretty much the same. I don't do much if any plinking so to speak, as I feel I should use the same loads I use 95% of the time to practice with. It does me no good to practice with a 800fps wad cutter load and then use a 1350fps SWC or HP load for hunting. I get just as much practice as I need with the higher velocity loads as none really efect me to the point of discomfort. I usually don't load to the very top end with most loads anyway, I simply load until I get into a velocity range I want with a particular bullet I want to use. Most of them are between 1000, and 1400fps with revolvers and with my 45 ACP I stick to around 850. With the 10mm it is dialed in to a standard load using a 180gr JHP and enough #9 to hit 1350 from the 7" barrel. This is simply my all around hunting and SD load if needed as such. I know first hand how well it does to critters with 4 leggs and have no doubt in my mind that a 2 legged one would put up more of a fight.

That said I DID run close to 100 rounds of some top end 260gr JHP's out of my 454 one Saturday afternoon. That evening I felt a little of it, but the next three days I was miserable. The counter torque of the big Raging Bull revolver with the 8.375" long barrel really worked on some muscles I don't use a lot. I knew where every one of them was in my arm and shoulder over the course of the following week. Even so, I still don't mind shooting up to 50 or even 100 of them now, I just don't do it sitting down from a bench rested type position where I cannot dispurse the full load.

With other revolvers and pistols I am always trying out new this, that, and the other bullets and powders. It is a hoot, but I still have my standard loads in mid to heavy for caliber weights that I fall back on when I hit the woods.

What differs in our loads verses the factory loads is that ours only have to fit and function in our own firearms. The factory have to fit and function in what ever firearm someone else might have. Their loads are usually NOT the top end they could be with the components they are using. THey might be 80% or so, but they DO leave some room for error. They are using blended powders to get within a certain load range for the bullet weights they are loading. Once they have what they are looking for they will load who knows how many until they reach a production goal for that particular round. THey might even use the same powder for several bullet weights in a particular caliber where one might be perceived as a hot load compared to a hand loaded ropund but might still be well below the safe pressure limits for the actual powder and bullet combination. .

Page generated in 0.02047 seconds with 8 queries