Thread: Recipe Thread
View Single Post
Old August 4, 2011, 02:38 AM   #23
FrankenMauser

Antelope with Wild Rice

I've been wanting to post this for a while, but I don't cook by any means that really allows proper measurements. (Throw stuff in the pot, until it's delicious.) So, I couldn't find a proper way to do so. But, I'll toss it out there...

One note:
Any "Wild Rice" blend is good enough, but I prefer 'Rice Select' brand "Royal Blend". It has more Indian Rice ("Wild Rice" - it's actually a grass seed), than other brands. Straight wild rice is horribly expensive, and not recommended.

Here's the basic recipe:
Antelope meat - about 1-1.5 lb, slice into 3/8" thick medallions
Wild Rice
1 stick Butter - 1/4 cup. No margarine.
1 small Shallot - thinly sliced, or diced. You can substitute with diced onion and garlic (about 1/8 cup, total, 65% onion, 35% garlic).
Mushrooms - whatever you prefer - diced.
Salt and Pepper - to taste.
Water
Dinner Rolls - The good, old fashioned, yeastie kind. No potato rolls.

Slap the slab o' butter down in a 10" skillet, and get it melting (cut it up, if you're in a hurry). Sear both sides of the Antelope meat, while the butter is melting (don't cook it - just sear it). Set the meat aside.

Add a little salt and pepper. Cook the mushrooms and shallot (or onion/garlic) in the butter for about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat, add meat back into pan, and take a rough guess at how much water and rice you need, to get the pan filled. Add water and rice. Bring to boil. Reduce heat. Simmer until desired thickness and doneness (may need to be covered, in some climates). Season with salt and pepper, if needed.

Serve however you wish, but I like stuffing the buttery mixture into "mini bread bowls" made from home made dinner rolls. My wife prefers simply dipping the rolls into the mixture, and eating the Antelope separately. (She loves properly cared-for Antelope flesh.)

Page generated in 0.02997 seconds with 8 queries