View Single Post
Old April 16, 2011, 11:10 AM   #16
Sarge

Quote:
See this is what I was afraid of, I'm thinking there won't be one LEO out there who says they get enough training. I think it's B.S., how the hell can we expect you guys to protect the masses when your not provided the training you deserve. The fact that you have to go pay for it on your own time is ridiculous.
I pinned my first badge on in 1976. Franky I think it's ridiculous that many of my fellow officers lack the incentive to invest the time and money to become proficient- and by that I mean the ability to deliver a controlled burst at spitting distance, make 50 yard body hits on demand or 50 yard head shots from cover and an improvised rest. These things are attainable but nobody can just hand them to you. You have to understand the importance of zero with your duty load, the ability to hold a precise sight picture under stress, and the wherewithal to press that trigger despite the urge to shove the gun out there and yank it repeatedly. Further, you have to immerse yourself in each of your weapons until running/reloading them requires no conscious thought. And finally, you have to be able to admit that you're in a deadly force encounter and commit to pouring gunfire into another human being until they are no longer capable of being a threat to you.

While I absolutely support better firearms training for officers, throwing money at the problem won't change the individual's mindset. I have close contacts in the military who are also weapons trainers and the problem is as prevalent in the military as it is in LE. Neither organization has the training budget necessary for total immersion in a particular weapons system. There is a small percentage who understand this and who will make the necessary investment to attain it.

For others, a baptism of fire is the only thing that wakes them up.

Edited to add: I voted yes. My guys get enough training to insure combat accuracy but more importantly, they know the score and the need to become one with their weapons. All of them shoot on their own time and yes, I subsidize that effort with dept-issue ammo whenever I can.

Last edited by Sarge; April 16, 2011 at 11:18 AM.

Page generated in 0.02948 seconds with 8 queries