View Single Post
Old December 15, 2007, 05:47 PM   #1
Pharaohawk27

Borealis Flashlight Review

BOREALIS FLASHLIGHT REVIEW

Ever since I began lurking in the forums, I had noticed the Borealis flashlight and its maker Black Bear. Since I had for a while been contemplating the purchase of a Surefire M-6 (having the M-4 and wishing to upgrade to 500 lumens), I was very interested in his claims of 1050 lumens, two million candlepower, and a run time of 50 minutes for his Borealis light.
I am unfortunately a tight-fisted guy with money, so before spending the $320 that the light and charger cost (shipped), I investigated the light and the builder very thoroughly. I read everything that was available in several forums and even in the flashlights forums, and I was impressed by all the good things that people had to say for the light and for Juan C. (Black Bear).
It is not the first time I buy an expensive flashlight. The one before was the Surefire M-4 for $330, and I own a bunch of other Surefires, like the E2e, Centurion III, Centurion II, E1e, L-4, and a few other full-sized lights like the Ultra Stinger and Magcharger.
After I Pay-Paled Black Bear I received the light within three days, and what a great light it is. The quality of build is superb. I am very familiar with the regular Maglite 3 D light, and I’m unsure of how he does it, but the tolerances and movement of the parts are very tight and the threaded parts are very smooth but firm, all giving the light a superlative solid feel and an unmatched quality.
All parts were polished bright and Pro-Golded for better conductivity, and the battery carrier has a snug fit with no discernible play.
I selected the Light Stippled reflector (he has four choices of reflectors, smooth, orange peel, light stippled and medium stippled), and the beam is perfect with no rings or other artifacts, very similar to the beam of the M-4 but several times brighter.
Indeed, the brightness is just incredible. I was traveling in the Poconos area on business and I visited my friend a flashaholic himself. There we tried the Borealis against all he had and the Borealis just blew anything he owned out of the water, including a Surefire M-6 and a Mag 85.
The only thing that could approach the brightness of the Borealis was a big and heavy spotlight with a 7 inch reflector rated at two million candlepower, but the Borealis had more useful side spill, illuminating much more terrain while keeping the same intensity at the center of the beam.

When my significant other returned my camera, I took these pictures against the other flashlights that I have in hand, just to give an idea to the readers how it compare with other powerful police lights that are in use every day by the police and military forces.

Magcharger 200 lumens

Ultra Stinger 295 lumens

Surefire M-4, 350 lumens

BOREALIS rechargeable 1050 lumens

The Borealis already claimed his first victim. The other day after closing a deal with a customer, and getting invited to a nice dinner and some drinks, I was coming back to my motel at one a.m. when, on parking, I saw a shadow lurking by the trunk of one of the parked cars.
Upon exiting my car and with the Borealis in hand I switched it on and the scene was illuminated like Miami Beach at noon. The guy that was kneeling by the car’s trunk was actually looking my way, and he jumped three feet in the air and started running, and since he was blinded by the light he collided heavily with the fender of a car and went down flat, got up, continued running with a limp towards the fence, jumped toward the top of it, missed the grab and went down heavily a second time. He eventually did make over the top of the fence, but I was certainly entertained for a good amount of time.
Yes, I am very satisfied with the Borealis and with Juan C. answering all the questions I had before purchasing. In truth, it went beyond all my expectations; this is a very high quality light and service from a great artisan that is worth every penny I paid for it and more.

Sincerely,
Pharaohawk

Page generated in 0.03903 seconds with 8 queries