View Single Post
Old June 9, 2012, 09:05 AM   #13
shortwave

Quote:
For those that poo-poo pointing, consider this.

Most decent game and clay shots can place a pattern on a rapid target inside 30 yards. For clays shooters, that means hitting a 4 1/4" disc moving at up to 55 MPH.

Anyone who can do that will have little trouble placing a load into the CNS of a hostile individual much closer and moving slower.

The CNS runs about 4" wide for much of its length.....

...too, I will add that for 'aimers' going quail or grouse hunting with experienced point shooters, plan on coming home with less game 9 out of 10 times.

Seems I remember a thread some time ago discussing point shooting pistols as well. If I remember correctly, that thread got a bit spirited too.

Point shooting or instinctive shooting is a technique that IMO, should be learned the same as aim shooting. There are scenario's in both hunting and SD that require both styles and both should be learned.

Had an instructor one time give a brief lecture on point shooting and one thing he said stuck in my mind.

Most people don't practice point shooting.

He went on to explain that most peoples shooting sessions go similar to this:

Buy your targets and ammo, pay for your range time, set your targets up and try to get a bullseye with every shot. After all, range time and especially ammo is expensive so we have to make every shot count.

The point is, learning to 'point shoot' efficiently was going to take a lot of ammo downrange with hits less accurate then aiming and an intimate feel/comfort of your weapon.

Many just aren't willing to spend the time or $'s to learn to point shoot well as they feel they are wasting ammo with the lessor hits.

Same with practicing the technique of aimed shooting to be a better shot, we need to practice the technique of point shooting to be efficient at both since real life SD scenarios may require either technique.

For those poo-poo'ing pointing(as Dave put it), what will you do faced with a BG you've got pinned down in your house with your light/laser(name your preferred illumination tool) and you suddenly have no illumination and cannot see your sights?

The expense of time/ammo learning point shooting along with the intimate knowledge of your weapon will be invaluable at that time.

Page generated in 0.02965 seconds with 8 queries