View Single Post
Old March 25, 2002, 12:12 AM   #1
djsjd

Negative experiences with gun safes?

I've searched and researched TFL, researched nearly a dozen manufacturers, and am just about ready to plunk down a couple of grand on a ton (literally) of steel box. However, I'm curious if anyone has had any negative experiences with a safe - I'd appreciate your feedback...

Here's a couple of things that I'm weighing:

1) Most 'fire-resistant' safes contain simple drywall or sheetrock as the fire barrier. This material keeps internal temps low by releasing stored moisture when exposed to high heat. The nature of this process will expose the contents of the safe to VERY high temps and humidity. Has anyone had their fire-resistant safe survive a fire - and what happened to the stuff inside?

2) Most every safe that I've researched DOES NOT come with a burglary rating - only a statement that it is a 'residential security container' (RSC) - the lowest rating possible. What that amounts to is that either the manufacturer hasn't subjected their product to appropriate testing, or it doesn't stand up to determined attack. Here too - has anyone experienced a break in where the bandits were successful at penetrating a RSC?

3) Finally, in terms of maintaining a 'safe' environment for the firearms stored within the safe, has anyone experienced problems with the air being too DRY - to the point of the wood stocks / grips / etc. having problems.

Thank you for your thoughts and input.

Page generated in 0.03243 seconds with 8 queries