Thread: New 30-06
View Single Post
Old November 15, 1999, 11:01 AM   #12
Long Path

B.B.-- I own a .300 Win Mag, and it's my favorite rifle... BUT... The .30-06 is probably the single most well-rounded cartridge for any hunting you'd do in North America. I see that you're in California, so you might get the opportunity to hunt elk. Fine! The .30-06 with 180g bullets is one of the finer selections you could hope for. As Art Eatman points out, the 150g. bullets in the .30-06 will kill any deer that ever lived. Frankly, except for Alaskan moose, brown (Kodiak) bear, Olympic Penisula Elk, and polar bear, the .30-06 in certain loadings is over-powered for anything in North America, if we were really honest with ourselves. (This is NOT a bad thing... )

Military brass is still pretty plentiful if you reload, and there's much to be said for having a rifle in the single most popular big(medium)-game hunting caliber. Ammo is more plentiful than .300 Win Mag, there are MANY more selections for loads, and it is cheaper. Are there positives to getting a .300 Win Mag? Sure. The same bullet flies about 250fps faster, and thus shoots flatter. But the cost is in greater recoil/noise, more expensive, bulkier ammo that is far more expensive to reload, and ammmo that's less likely to be on the shelf of the local hardware store or on the buttcuff of your neighbor's rifle, should you need to borrow some. All for a rifle that kills deer, hog, black bear, antelope, nor even elk no deader, if shot at reasonable ranges.

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

[This message has been edited by Long Path (edited November 15, 1999).]

Page generated in 0.02458 seconds with 8 queries