View Single Post
Old August 10, 2000, 04:52 PM   #1
Bartholomew Roberts

I recently ordered a 1 1/2" belt, Versa-Max 2 holster (for P-35) and double mag carrier (also for P-35) from Milt Sparks. I was informed that the standard lead time was 8-10 weeks and said OK. Well, in a fit of stupidity, I scheduled a shooting class I wanted to use the rig at a mere 6 weeks after the order. I called up Milt Sparks and they upgraded the shipping and had the holster to me ahead of schedule. No questions, no complaints, and nothing but helpful. I was pretty impressed at this point but decided to hold off until I got the gear.

Well, I have just tried out the gear and it is a LOT better than I had expected or hoped. I have a whole boxful of bad holster decisions and I was fervently hoping that this wouldn't be another one. The Versa-Max 2 is outstanding.

The Versa-Max 2 is an IWB holster that has either snap loops for conventional wear or tuckable Kydex clips for office wear. Mine bears the initials BE, representing the master craftsman who made it. I evaluated it using my lightest knit polo shirt (a shirt so light I can't carry my Glock 26 when wearing it).

The Versa-Max 2 carried my full-sized Hi-Power under this shirt with better comfort and concealability than my Glock 26 in a Galco JAK slide. Not only was the gun perfectly concealed, I was able to lift my arms, bend over, torso twist and do all of the other body movements I had trained myself not to do when carrying without any obvious printing. The VM-2 is perfect for the Hi-Power and would be ideal for the 1911 series as well.

The holster has excellent retention and is still a little stiff out of the box. Hopefully, I can get it worn in before the weekend. I've got a box full of holsters that I have tried to use for concealed carry - everything from belly bands to tuckable IWB holsters to OWB holsters. The VM-2 is hands down the best holster I have owned to date. Not sure if it would work as well with a thicker gun; but absolute magic with the Hi-Power.

The belt was a surprise too. This thing is built so you could tow trucks with it. Double-layers of leather and heavy duty stitching, big brass buckle... Not the most fashionable looking belt I have ever seen; but not ugly either - just a plain everyday belt. If you ever lose your gun for some reason, you wouldn't be defenseless with this thing around your waist.

Didn't really examine the mag carrier too much, it was finished out with the same high-quality as the belt and holster. Looked like it would carry mags OK.

Comparing it with my other tuckable IWB holster (the Galco Deep Cover) is a joke. The VM-2 beats the Deep Cover in every conceivable category except cost (and only loses there by $30). The VM-2 is slimmer than the Deep Cover, better made, conceals better without the Deep Cover's J-hook protruding out from the belt like some odd growth, keeps the stock of the gun turned in towards the body better to prevent printing and is much more comfortable than the Deep Cover (which sometimes feel like trying to share pants with a baby elephant)

Page generated in 0.03608 seconds with 8 queries