View Single Post
Old January 11, 2016, 10:20 AM   #4
F. Guffey

Quote:
Just got a new one, my first. My question is should I be (on sizing) having the case holder stop the stroke on the dye before the handle cams over into the stops or should I be camming the handle over into the stops normally?
Chainsaw, good question, I like the part about the handles camming over. I have at least 3 Rock Chuckers, not one of the 3+ will cam over. My Rock Chuckers jam-up, lock-up or cram-up, the one thing they will not do is cam over. My dies have threads, all of my presses have threads, and threads make it possible to adjust my die to, off or below contact with the shell holder for a reason. Cases have the ability to resist sizing. As the case’s ability to resist sizing increases it is necessary to increase the presses ability to overcome the resistance. I find for most cases any lube will do. Then there are other time, for the other times I use a no-name lube; a very good lube can reduce the case’s ability to resist sizing.

A member notified RCBS I said the Rock Chucker did not cam over. Someone at RCBS instructed him to have me contact them etc.. Back to my Rock Chuckers, my Rock Chuckers lock up or they go into a bind or the linkage gets tangled: problem: I can not get a reloader away from the key board long enough to crawl under the bench to check.

When the Rock Chucker ram is raised the linkage limits the travel. When that happens the linkage forces the ram back at the bottom and forward at the top. All of that can be checked without a die and case installed in the press. Meaning? The case prevents the ram from being kicked back at the bottom and forward at the top.

I have gages and deflection gages, when a case has more resistance to sizing than the press can overcome the top of the press yields. Meaning if a die is adjusted with an additional fraction of a turn below contact the die should be contacting the shell holder when the ram is raised. If the case has more resistance to sizing than the press can overcome there will be a gap between the top of the shell holder and bottom of the die.

When the case whips the press I want to know by how much. When determining by how much I measure the gap between the top of the shell holder and bottom of the die with a feeler gage. In the perfect world and assuming the press won there will be no gap, on the other hand if there is a gap I have choices. I can bet a better lube of I can screw the die down an additional fraction of a turn.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.02698 seconds with 8 queries