View Single Post
Old April 3, 2013, 05:12 PM   #5
TunnelRat

Heck, I'll bite.

Most guns have more potential for mechanical accuracy than skill of their shooters. By this I mean, the "average" shooter won't notice the difference. Now there's also the fact that some folks find certain brands shoot really well for them in terms of the way that brand fits their hands, the sights, grip angle, etc. That might not be the case for other shooters, so I tend to disbelieve in a golden rule of which gun is most accurate for all.

Now, there are some shooters that are so skilled that they can shoot all systems reasonably well regardless of the brand and model. For those select individuals they might be able to discern the difference in mechanical accuracy. I make no claims to be one of those people. In my limited experience, all else being equal (which is almost never the case) barrel to slide fit makes the most difference in mechanical accuracy. The tighter the barrel to slide fit the greater the potential for accuracy, just IMO.

Now a nice crisp, light trigger helps the shooter take advantage of that mechanical accuracy. Many competition shoots use single-action only pistols for that very reason, though it is not always the case. Still a nice trigger certainly helps the shooter overcome any difficulty in taking advantage of that inherent accuracy.

Now there are 1911s with very tight barrel to slide fit and those that are looser. The tighter the tolerances, however, and there is usually a trade off in reliability. I will say that most 1911s I have used have a tighter barrel to slide fit than say a Glock. That coupled with with a very nice single-action only trigger and would say a 1911 has more accuracy potential than a Glock. But again, the average shooter might not be able to notice.
Maintain situational awareness

Last edited by TunnelRat; April 3, 2013 at 05:35 PM.

Page generated in 0.03453 seconds with 8 queries