View Single Post
Old December 1, 2005, 05:01 PM   #26
Double Naught Spy

It was the first gun show in Frisco, north Texas, where I was present for my first gun show ND. By and large, NDs have been taken out of the hands of the paying customers at most Texas gun shows, maybe elsewhere too. Instead, if there is an ND, it is usually by a dealer. At the Frisco show, it was a guy who puts on night sights for Glocks and sells Glock parts. The discharge was straight into the ground.

Funny thing. You know how gun folks claim to be gung ho, know how to react to trouble, have been trained to respond to deadly force and all the other crap we like to post about our abilities? I was on the far side of the show from where the discharge occurred. What happened? First, everyone went silent and stoppped moving. A few of us ducked down, like that was going to help. After a delay of a few seconds, show security came in through several doors and went to the location of the discharge.

I must admit, I was embarrassed by what I saw and how I performed. Somebody fires a gun inside of a gun show and we all pretty much knew it was gunfire. It was just a matter of determining exactly where it occurred. Aside from the head bob ducking, I saw nobody taking flight, going prone, or anything. We were like so many cattle standing around in a slaughterhouse corral. You see, apparently none of us were going to take the threat of live gunfire very seriously until more shots occurred. One shot in a room full of people and guns isn't enough to scare us away. No siree BOB!

Given the stupidity I have seen of gun handling in gun shows, it does not bother me that they don't want you carrying in loaded guns.

Page generated in 0.02673 seconds with 8 queries