Thread: Climbing Stands
View Single Post
Old November 24, 2007, 06:44 PM   #3
bswiv

I've got a Bullet Backpacker. The only difference between it and the Broadhead is that the front bar is cut away on the Broadhead.

The folding feature is nice. And if you strap it together tight it will not rattle. It's also fairly stable on the tree, so long as you use the straps as they suggest. Otherwise it WILL shift and scare the SHIFT out of you.

It is also very quiet and for a guy my size, 5' 11" & 155 lbs, it's plenty big. The seat is comfortable and it's easy to put on the tree. And as best I can tell from using it for almost 5 years it will last forever.

All those nice things said I've got it up for sale.

And you know why?

It weighs a honest 24 pounds with straps and the like. To darn heavy for the distences we tend to walk.

Last year I bought a Timbertall, the Baby Lite model, for my wife. Replaced a older climber with it. Bought it for her because of the weight. It comes in under 14 pounds. They advertise it at 12 1/2 but with straps and a better seat it's actually a little heavier.

My first impression of it was that it was UNSAFE! So far she loves it though and has had no problems. While it does not fold it is flat enough that it does not matter. Carrys really easy and sets up almost as quickly as the Summit.

She liked it enough, and I did try it on a tree in the yard a couple of times, that it is what I replaced the Summit with.

Having used mine about a dozen times this season, actually we were out there this morning, I am still convinced that it is not as safe as the Summit but part of that may be that I am not familiar enough with it yet.

And what you should take from this rambling is that if the weight is not a problem for you go with the Summit................ But if you are not a big guy and you plan on walking a lot with it on your back I would look around for something lighter.

Whatever you get WEAR THE SAFETY HARNESS!!

Page generated in 0.03505 seconds with 8 queries