View Single Post
Old July 6, 2013, 03:16 AM   #39
Winchester_73

Quote:
I collect S&W N Frames.

I shoot my Python. A lot! Roughly I have shot the same number of rounds out of my Python as I have out of all 9 of my S&W 357 Mag N frames combined. I like how it handles, how it shoots and how the trigger works.

So it is comes down to a judgement call. I like shooting my Python but now I tend to baby it. I put hot loads in my Redhawk 357 Magnums and save the Python for target work. The S&W's are mostly just collectables and occasional shooters.
Peter - you certainly do have an impressive collection of N frames! I am wondering how long you have had your Python, when was it made, and do you shoot your S&Ws less often because you prefer the Python, or is it because you bought the S&Ws as collectibles / investments? As far as why I am curious to when your Python was made, I have have often heard, and even saw with Colts in general that 50s and 60s guns were consistently superb.

Also, IIRC you have at least one RM. How do you feel about Python vs RM? Just curious.

Quote:
Strictly opinion but I think there is no more beautiful finish than the finish on a blued Python. I also like Colt's nickel finish on the Python better than SW's nickel finishes.
Hi Jim. When I hear all of this talk about the Python Royal blue, or the high grade blue on any Colt (such as a Woodsman Match Target), I often wonder how familiar people are with pre war S&Ws or 5 screw S&W fit and finish in general? Do you have some pre war S&Ws or any 5 screw K or N frames which have the bright blue finish? How old/new are your model 27s? Just curious.

Quote:
When it was being designed the Colt Master gunsmiths building the prototype decided the muzzle was TOO heavy feeling so they started cutting vents in the barrel rib until it felt just right.
A 4 inch gun will still have a muzzle heavy feel but not nearly that of the longer 6 inch.
While I can see that having something to do with it, obviously Colt had at least 3 choices to decrease barrel weight: they could have changed the size of the lug underneath, changed the width of the barrel rib OR they could have made the rib ventilated. Perhaps they could have made the barrel a little thinner as well. They "ironically" made the flashiest choice to decrease the barrel weight. I certainly think the styling of the gun with the vents was just as important to them as the weight reduction. They wanted to set the Python apart in all ways, and with that vent rib, it had unique looks at the time for a factory revolver. Of course, before the Python, King placed aftermarket vent ribs on revolvers.

Page generated in 0.03467 seconds with 8 queries