Thread: Mashburn arms
View Single Post
Old March 6, 2011, 09:33 AM   #24
Dave Johnson

I bought a Model 13 Smith & Wesson from Mashburn in 1987. I traded them a Mossburg 12 gauge for it. I didn't know a thing about guns and they were nice and helpful. The price was at the high end of the spectrum, but fair. I still have it. The Model 13 was a wise recommendation for my needs on their part; because the gun has served me well for 25 years. I Went back in 1996 because I wanted a Walther PPK in new condition in the Alligator box from the 1960's. (I'm a James Bond nut). The NEW owner, a tall slender guy, called his supplier and was told they had none of this model in stock; and then tried to sell me something else. I told him that since the gun hasn't been made in 30 years, I was hoping he knew a collector or could get into Shotgun news and find one for me and take care of the transfer. He got short with me and barked "I'm in the business" and he knew there were no 1960 PPK's available and then again tried to get me interested in another gun. Either he was naive, or he thought I was naive and tried to use my naiveté' to bully me. A few months later he was set up at a gun show in OKC and I asked him to transfer a gun I found. He quoted me a $45 transfer fee to do 10 minutes of paperwork. (which is $63 today adjusted for inflation). The going rate at the time was $15. I am not surprised now as I read this thread that Mashburn Arms went out of business; and frankly I chuckled. Having him bark "I'm in the business" at my face is something that I've remembered all these years... a little window into the soul of someone ill-equipped to function as an entrepreneur.

Page generated in 0.02974 seconds with 8 queries