View Single Post
Old May 11, 2005, 12:44 PM   #15
kjm

First, Mexico has begun paying their water debt, and that made news here in Texas so I am surprised that you didn't know that.

Second, Mexico depends upon the United States as their number one market. Each product they sell here including Dodge Trucks, Tequila, machinery and other items can be tariffed. While Tariffs aren't a wonderful way to go about business, it tends to get a country's attention and is an effective way to get the offending country to come to the table and negotiate a deal.

When Mexican beef, tomatoes, electronics, textiles and other manufacturing takes a hit and hence the patrones who run these industries feel it in their pocketbook, Mexico might feel more like this is also a Mexican problem.

Right now, Mexico suffers no ill effects from the current situation. It doesn't hurt them one iota, and in fact they reap billions. Labor is their number-one export and cash seems to be their number one import. If you are saying that the United States is economically impotent to put a squeeze on Mexico, then I think you and I differ in the size and importance of the US economy and the dependance upon it by Mexico.

Page generated in 0.04181 seconds with 8 queries