View Single Post
Old October 25, 2012, 08:35 PM   #48
Edward429451

Quote:
I'm guessing that for 99.99% of pistol reloaders, the resizing ring doesn't do anything to their rounds and only the crimping is being done. The FCD is a placebo.
I bought a 223 and 44 FCD's. In 44, I use a Lyman M die and .430 home cast boolits. It makes me cringe now remembering the sound that it made while it was destroying my good 44 Mag cartridges, swaging the case and boolit down. I forced myself to do six rounds, to see what all the fuss was about with the infamous FCD. I only measured the outside case diameter before and after, that, and the horrible crunching sound it made told me everything I needed to know.

I also loaded some .429 jacketed 44's to see how the FCD worked with them too. The FCD didn't size them. It took about 5 seconds to pop the sizing ring out of the die. Now I have a good crimp die. I like the crimp, works fine. Perhaps my use of the M die for lead boolits aggravated the sizing problem.

The 223 FCD is a perfectly good crimp die. It doesn't size anything and I have no issues with it.

Page generated in 0.02380 seconds with 8 queries