View Single Post
Old April 3, 2012, 10:54 AM   #1
Bartholomew Roberts

911 Operator Orders Man to Return to Scene of Shooting, Man Killed

CBS News is reporting that some men in Denver called 911 to report being threatened at gunpoint by a group of men early Sunday morning (aka Saturday night). The 911 dispatcher for some reason ordered the men to return to the scene of the shooting. One of the victims said "“I told them I couldn’t do that because those people might still be there and they had a gun and I didn’t want to go there. They told me, ‘Well if you don’t go there we can’t come to your location and you can’t file a police report.’ “

Despite his good common sense objection, the victim eventually complied with the 911 operator's request resulting in his brother being shot and killed by the same suspects. The police arrived approximately 45 seconds after the brother expired from his wounds.

Source: http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/04/0...-after-murder/

I thought this was a worthwhile discussion because in several threads we've seen the 911 operator tell the victim to do certain things or even give orders to the victim. Unfortunately as this story shows, the 911 operator may not be better equipped to make that decision than you are. I think it is a valuable reminder that it is YOUR life on the line, and not the dispatcher's and that any advice from the dispatcher should be treated accordingly.

Page generated in 0.03805 seconds with 8 queries