Thread: .327 Fed Magnum
View Single Post
Old March 30, 2010, 09:53 AM   #4
Sevens

And the next logical step when you can't get any proper bullets because none of the manufacturers are making any and you don't want to venture in to cast lead just yet?

I put to use what I had -- 71gr FMJ slugs built for a .32 Automatic. Foreign territory here, I've got a very short bullet with no cannelure, so I'm "guessing" with COAL and bullet depth. I need as much "meat" as I can get for the case to grab, but these tiny little bullets don't have much length!

And load data? Nonexistent. I caught one article from G&A from a couple years ago when the cartridge debuted and they had one combo that used a 71gr slug. Their data showed that slug at over 1,700 fps, but it was through a 6-inch Ruger Blackhawk, IIRC. (converted from .32 H&R Mag) One load used W540 and the other Hodgdon HS-6, neither of which is a powder I keep on hand. So I am not the first guy to try and send a 71gr pill from a .327, but I'm probably in the top 10 for trying!

I punched up a buddy through e-mail that uses QuickLoad and asked him if he could run a few numbers for me. Eventually, we got QL to spit out a 4.6gr charge of Bullseye pushing a 71gr FMJ in .327 Federal Mag out of a SP-101 at about 1,100 FPS. Of course, these are calculated and estimated numbers -- I don't have a chrono. Range tested on Sunday, these little poppers have (predictably) little felt recoil, but a nice loud pop and flash. QL suggests that it's running 15,000 PSI, but I find that hard to believe. I think it's warmer than that.

I'd like to think I can ramp up Bullseye a bit, but probably not much before I have to move to a different powder. But it sure would be nice to see some numbers that give me an idea of a max load... I want to read it LONG before I go anywhere near it.

I'd like to go forth with this load and ramp it up a bit so I'm going to ask the techs at Alliant if they will help... not sure what I'll get from them. I don't see any logical reason why I can't send one of these little pills at about 1,600 or 1,700 FPS with the right powder -- Federal gets 1,400-1,500 out of 100 & 115 grain slugs.

So what's purpose? Quite simple... just looking for a practice load out of the .327 Federal Magnum that doesn't cost $30 per box of 50. It isn't a hunting round, it's not a defense round, it's just something that isn't a pipsqueak that can be used to pile up a bunch of quality range time. And until the rest of the jacketed slugs get produced again, I think this is the way I'm going.

Comments, suggestions, ideas?

Page generated in 0.02494 seconds with 8 queries