View Single Post
Old July 29, 2009, 06:22 PM   #22
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Training and education help people to make better decisions and avoid doing at least some dumb things.
The world is full of trained people who do stupid things every day too. Bus, ferry and train drivers sending text messages, police officers shooting themselves with their own gun, airline pilots with hundreds, even thousands, of hours training crashing planes by reacting wrongly.

So far as education, well, some of the people with the LEAST common sense that I have ever experienced have had letters after their names.

Quote:
Sometimes one's instinctive, or common sense, reaction is not the correct response.
Instinct is not synonymous with common sense. It is, in fact, quite often the opposite.

Quote:
We've seen plenty of illustrations here, in these Forums, that many folks have some very fanciful notions, or who are looking for hard and fast rules, about when or how to use lethal force in self defense.
You confuse people who ARE discussing these things with people who are aware enough to BE discussing these things.

Quote:
Certainly in my experience, having provided basic training to many people,...
What sort of "basic training"? I've seen people who have taken many hours of training that they WANTED to take, which they PAID to take and which did them no good whatsoever. How much good is 1 or 2 or even 3 "required" courses constituting at most a few hours going to do?

Quote:
If you don't know and understand more now, today, than you knew and understood 5 years ago, you have not been paying attention.
Indeed, and yet "knowing" does not directly equate to "doing". "Doing" what you know does not come from knowing more, it comes from being sensible.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; July 29, 2009 at 06:31 PM.

Page generated in 0.03631 seconds with 8 queries