View Single Post
Old March 20, 2001, 09:33 AM   #5
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Just a quick thought on freezing deer or any other meat for that matter. We always cut the backstraps and tenderloins off and fry that. Then we usually keep the hams to cook as a roast. The rest of it almost always goes for sausage. The backstraps and tenderloins never even go near the freezer before they are consumed and the roasts aren't in there long, before they are stuffed plumb full of seasoning and pot roasted. We have had problems in the past though with the sausage. Some years I may have two to three hundred pounds of it and it takes about a year to use it all. Towards the end it is getting freezer burnt. I have tried every wrap known to mankind with little luck. A couple of years ago I bought a vacuum sealer from WalMart for about a hundred bucks or so. You put your sausage in the bag and put the bag in that machine and it sucks all the air out and seals it( awright guys I am talking about DEER sausage here!!). The day I got that gadget is the day we said goodbye to freezer burn. I have had some sausage in the freezer for over 1 1/2 years and it is still as good as the day it went in there. It works wonders on regular beef ground beef too.

Page generated in 0.02152 seconds with 8 queries