Thread: dillion 650
View Single Post
Old November 24, 2007, 04:38 PM   #9
Tanzer

Lots of good advice here. I especially agree with;
Quote:
I would get the 1" die lock nuts from Dillon along with the 1" Bench Wrench". The Dillon locknuts are smaller than most stock hex nuts (LEE) and are easier to lock than the RCBS or Redding knurled rings. The wrench reaches in where a large "Craftsman" 1" wrench wouldn't fit. It also has a 7/16" hex on it for adjusting the powder measure
The dillon carbide dies are tops. If you have an air comperssor, all the better, just blow 'em out & give 'em a wipe. The measures never fall off on my 650, and its about 10 years old.
I really suggest extra powder measures and die heads. Yes, they're about $80, but changing calibers is SO much easier.
Get extra "little stuff" especially orifices for the primer tubes (when they go, they go). Dillon's no BS warranty is good, but you dont want down time waiting for shipping.

The following is just opinion and not necessarily the opinion of TFL;
Franklin (and I'm sure others) make good tumblers that are inexpensive. Use NU Finish car polish in your media instead of the expensive cleaner (no wax). Chuck in a few 2" squares of dryer sheets and you'll find they act like a lead magnet, and your brass will smell nice, too. Always do this in a ventilated area, wear gloves and even a mask. Lead airation is no joke.
Steal a tupperware bowl from the wife and drill a million holes in the bottom, & you've got a media seperater that's better than anything out there. Steal a pair of nylons from the same wife (hopefully) and use it to wash dirty media, then dry on stolen sheet pans. Buy Nylons, sheet pans and tupperware for wife's Christmas presents.
I handle Rifle cartriges differently;
Clean the heck out of them, especially the neck with a bronze barrel brush - up to you to learn about trimming etc, then tumble them. You may not be able to find a carbide die set (I couldn't for 270 WSM), so you will need to lube them. I Lube, then set primers only and wipe them down. This way you don't get a gunky mess with the powder. Now just run them through the powder and seating die and marvel at your work. Last but not least, and some will disagree, I always tumble the finished cartriges for about 10-15 minutes to remove the lube.
GET THE BOOKS! RELOADING DATA! DO NOT MAKE HOMEMADE RECIPIES!
double check or find missing data at;http://www.hogton.com
Don't mean to go on & on. Keep on asking - There's a lot more knowledge here than I can give, but I haven't blown the roof off yet.
Oh Yeah, Post NO SMOKING signs.

Page generated in 0.02672 seconds with 8 queries