View Single Post
Old September 4, 2012, 11:49 PM   #52
Major Dave (retired)

Yes, within 100 yards of my parked vehicle

I had sat in my ladder stand all afternoon, with a road hardly 50 yards to my left, which led to my parking spot.

So, when darkness began to fall, I wasn't really worried about finding my car in the dark. I turned around and looked at my parked car several times, and convinced myself that I could stay in the tree until after dark. It would be only a couple of minutes walking to the car.

After total darkness fell, I was somewhat surprised at how dark it was. No moon, no stars, no lights from nearby houses, no sky glow from a nearby town. Just DARK!

So, I climbed down and started my short walk to the car. After about 15 minutes, I still had not even cut the nearby road. Then that sick feeling in my gut hit me. I didn't know which direction to go to get to the car.

Then, in the total darkness, a pack of coyotes sounded off. Sounded like 8 or 10 of them - close by. I had always heard they wouldn't attack humans, but they were snarling and fighting and making a big racket. I backed up to a large tree, and held my rifle at the ready - just in case.

Finally, after about another half hour of just sitting still, a car came down a nearby road, and I was able to get my bearings by watching it pass by. I had gone about a mile out of the way, getting farther and farther from my parked car, all the while.

I had to walk for about half an hour to get to the road where I saw the headlights pass by, and another half hour following the road, once I got on it.

So, my 2 minute walk to my car turned into a 2 hour ordeal.

Page generated in 0.02899 seconds with 8 queries