View Single Post
Old March 14, 2001, 04:40 PM   #1
Long Path

Here's the deal-- I went and shot a steel plates match the other day, and had a blast. So the next weekend, I shot the next one. Okay, I'm hooked-- sign me up. I've been shooting my duty gun from my duty rig so far, which makes me something of an anomoly, as the only other guy there with anything resembling a practical carry rig was our own Johnny Guest, who wore a lightweight Commander in a Fobus Kydex holster behind one hip and a spare mag behind the other. Both of us were shooting 230g LRN .45 acp over a dose of 231 sufficient to get us up to abour 810fps.

Most of the other guys wore speed rigs with *&* 625's and 627's. Lotsa high-cap revolvers. Lotsa light loads.

And it kinda looked fun.

In this game, you don't have to hit things HARD, just hard enough to be heard easily so that you then move on to the next plate. I have even shot one of these matches with a Ceiner conversion kit on my Gold Cup to shoot .22, and it was worthwhile as a training excercise.

So I bought some (500) 130g fmj .357 bullets, and some extra primers (never can remember if we've got enough), and decided that I was going to load up a "cheater" load for my Officer's Model Special 6" HB .38 Special. I have in mind something that will reliably push those out at about 600-700 fps, with good accuracy and little or no smoke. Because we've got plenty, I'm thinking 231.

Favorite loads?

Page generated in 0.02903 seconds with 8 queries