View Single Post
Old May 30, 2011, 02:44 PM   #7
NWPilgrim

Unique would be perfect except for the poor metering I get from it, so probably Bullseye for handguns. I haven't actually tried Bullseye yet (still using W231 and Unique/Universal), but all of my recent research indicates Bullseye is a good powder for almost anything. It won't get top velocities in some cartridges but it appears to be excellent to good in nearly everything I have: .38 Special, 9x18 Mak, 9mm Luger, .40S&W, .45ACP. The same can be said for W231.

For rifle I could get by with any one of the mid-range powders such as H4895, Varget, TAC since I mainly load for .223, .308 and M1 Garand .30-06. H4895 would be less optimal but still useful for .30-30 and 6.5x55.

The only cartridge of mine that would be left out is .30 Carbine which needs a magnum handgun powder like W296, AA9, or 2400.

In the real world, I like to use a few powders to cover the entire spectrum from W231 to Power Pistol to W296. Rifle powders I use are pretty much in the IMR3031 to H4350 range. But it is nice to have extra stocks of those "one only powders" like Unique or H4895 to be able to cover new situations or cartridges until you can fine an optimal powder, or in case you run out of your favorite special powder.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison

Page generated in 0.03837 seconds with 8 queries