View Single Post
Old January 27, 2015, 04:42 PM   #2
Huffmanite

I've used Trail Boss for a number of years now. Recall phoning IMR 5-6 years ago seeking advice for using Trail Boss with cast or jacketed bullets in 30-06 and .308 Win cartridges. IMR rep on phone advised me against such use. Basic reason given was Trail Boss was only safe in straight wall cartridges....bottle neck cartridges such as the 30-06 and 308 caused pressure spikes or something. Then about 3 months after my phone call, a gun magazine had an article about using Trail Boss in 30-06 and 308 Win. Suggested loads in the article were pretty close to what I'd phoned IMR about using.

Then by 2010, IMR is under Hodgdon control and in the 2010 issue of Hodgdon Reload Magazine/manual there is a 4 or so page article about Trail Boss and in it there is is the suggestion to fill a case to base of bullet. Then measure the grains of powder to determine the 100% load density. Once this is done, then mulitply your grains measured by .70 to calculate the 70% load density. "Some where between 70% and 100% you'll find the most accurate load" This was for both cast and jacketed bullets.

But, to answer your question. Yes I've used Trail Boss with anything from 110gr to 168 gr bullets in my 1903 Springfield rifle, mostly jacketed bullets. Sometimes the accuracy was very respectful.

Used 19grs of TB with 125 or 135 gr Sierra bullets in a surplus military rifle 100 yd competition for awhile at range I'm a member. Stopped using it when we began shooting 200 yds in the competition. Last week, shot a few 110 gr Hornady bullets with the same 19 grs of Trail Boss in a very early (scoped) SAKO (made 1950s) 30-06 rifle I have. LOL, first two shots basically went into the same hole, third hit about 1/2" away. Generally, I can expect a 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" group at best with the Sako and my regular powder reloads. Do not recall ever having a true clover leaf with the rifle.

Shot my 19 gr TB 30-06 reloads thru a shooting buddies chronograph once. Recall the velocity was somewhere between 1400 and 1500 FPS.

You can expect a 6"-8" lower hit on a 100 yd target with Trail Boss.

Page generated in 0.04826 seconds with 8 queries