View Single Post
Old March 8, 2013, 11:42 AM   #4
vranasaurus

It doesn't matter what Arizona law is because the constitution determines the qualifications of, terms of service, and procedures for removal from office of Representatives and Senators.

The states can't put term limits on federal elected officials. United States Term Limits v. Thornton, 514 U.S. 779

New Jersey had a recall amendment that the State Supreme Court declared unconstitutional. Committee to Recall Robert Menendez From the Office of U.S. Senator v. Wells, 204 N.J. 79 The court said the following:

Quote:
The plain language of the Federal Constitution suggests that a Senator's term is fixed and that any right to prevent a Senator from completing his or her term is vested in the Senate, not the States. Article I, Section 3, Clause 1 provides without exception that a Senator's term of service is six years. The only instance in which abridgment of that term is expressly discussed appears in Article I, Section 5, Clause 2, which empowers each house to "determine the Rules of its Proceedings, punish its Members for disorderly Behavior, and, with the Concurrence of two thirds, expel a Member." Thus, in 1906, the U.S. Supreme Court noted in dicta that a Senator's seat "could only become vacant by his death, or by expiration of his term of office, or by some direct action on the part of the Senate in the exercise of its constitutional powers." Burton v. United States, 202 U.S. 344, 369, 26 S. Ct. 688, 694, 50 L. Ed. 1057 (1906).

As I said before you can't recall a Senator.

Page generated in 0.02507 seconds with 8 queries