View Single Post
Old May 3, 2012, 02:12 PM   #11
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruark
I find it difficult to believe that the location of the shot (i.e. brain stem shot) would make that much difference, unless you're tapping him with a .22 short. But the hydrostatic shock, of, say, a .45 ACP hollow point blasting through the brain cavity isn't going to allow any BG time to send a signal saying "pull the trigger."
It's not a matter of whether the BG has time to "send a signal." We're talking about a reflexive, involuntary response to being shot.

It does happen. See the book, Tactical Anatomy, by James S. Williams, MD, for a discussion of why the location of the head shot matters. Here's a summary from a review of that book by Massad Ayoob:
The commonly described “head shot” is not guaranteed to work: the face, the jaw, and the notoriously bullet-ricocheting internal helmet of skull bone that physicians call the cranial vault, are not the optimum targets. Deep brain, the area that controls autonomic response, is the target of choice when a sniper must neutralize a hostage taker without a reflexive pull of his trigger, or when a street cop must shut down a gunman who has been shot to pieces but is still firing at police. Dr. Williams teaches this as the “brainstem zone of incapacitation.”
[My emphasis]

Last edited by Evan Thomas; May 3, 2012 at 03:55 PM. Reason: too many words.

Page generated in 0.03269 seconds with 8 queries