View Single Post
Old February 15, 2014, 09:55 PM   #29
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I suspect if the government started to lay seige (like Ruby Ridge) on those who didn't turn in their guns, for example, because they were suddenly illegal due to having a pistol grip or some other silliness, I doubt that would garner much public support.
It would if they were successful in making the gun owners in question look like knuckle-dragging renegade stooges. Do you have political stickers on your car? Go to any rallies? Post on gun forums? It'll all be twisted to paint a picture, and it'll sell to the public.

What was Randy Weaver's crime? Failure to file a form and pay a $200 tax. And that was just one incidence.

As it is, they don't have to go out and round people up. They just have to bust someone they catch at the range, a gun show, or a traffic stop who's got the wrong hardware. A few such busts will have a chilling effect on everyone.

Quote:
There was clearly (to any objective reviewer) no valid basis to the "emergency" designation.
I have to admit, I need to do more research on the parameters and limits of the "emergency" provision. I know the law was passed in haste and without much of a chance for public comment.

If so, that's wrong. Such malfeasance can be addressed in the courts or at the ballot box. Violence is not warranted, and it would only make things so much worse.

Page generated in 0.03433 seconds with 8 queries