View Single Post
Old July 8, 2013, 07:53 AM   #54
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
It turns out that these guns were issued to the police and then captured. As a prize of war, it is legitimately captured and should be kept by the present owner.
Cultural resources laws generally do not have provisions for war trophies, which is likely why Poland is arguing that the gun falls under the guise of being of cultural or scientific significance. From the Washington Post article cited in the OP...

Quote:
The Polish government views the Maroszek as a “great piece of cultural and scientific significance.”
Such a claim, if honored, would negate the notion of this rifle being just a war trophy. From the information provided, this appears to be the strategy that they are taking. I would contend, as I noted above, that if this rifle was not of great cultural or scientific significance at the time of the loss, then it does not quality now for repatriation. Poland obviously feels differently.

Page generated in 0.03391 seconds with 8 queries