View Single Post
Old April 29, 2010, 10:17 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

I am pretty sure Ronl means paper bullets, not paper patched bullets.

The Cartridge, Blank, Caliber .30, Model of 1896, used a formed paper bullet so it would feed through the rifle action, but would not be a danger when used in exercises.

After the adoption of the Model 1903 rifle, paper bullet blanks were made for the .30-'03 (Model of 1903) and .30-'06 rifles (Model of 1906). The latter was produced by Frankford Arsenal until 1908, when the familiar cardboard wad blank was adopted.

During and after WWI, the Navy let contracts to both Remington and Winchester for .30 Army paper bullet blanks for training, the largest contract being for 1.5 million cartridges, in April 1917. Those cases had military style headstamps with the contractor and the date.

In addition, Winchester made .30 Army commercial blanks, with the standard commercial headstamp, for ceremonial use by veteran's organizations which had Krags, after the Army could no longer supply blanks. Commercial blanks were also used by the movie industry.

Value? Beats me. I would guess a couple of dollars each, but I am not a cartridge collector.

Jim

Page generated in 0.02461 seconds with 8 queries