View Single Post
Old October 29, 2000, 09:57 AM   #5
KODB

Most answers are dead on.

ABCs are what we teach everyone to do and certainly should have priority. Might I suggest that all tactically minded individuals could benefit from a good first aid course ala Red Cross or from one of the reputable schools.

As far as upstream pressure: this really refers to "pressure points". It is FAR more effective to maintain direct pressure over the wound and maintain it. Do not look at it from time to time, just keep the pressure on and get to competent aid. Tournequiets are really last ditch efforts and ought to be avoided as almost all bleeding can be controlled by direct pressure. That which can not is either not being properly firmly applied over the wound or the patient has an exsanguinating injury that in all likelyhood is not amenable to tournequeting either (with few exceptions). If bone is grossly broke AND you have something to splint with that's a good op, but I'd personally just haul to nearest ER asap with direct pressure as I stated before.

Regard,

Bob

I would second the not call 911 and haul a** to a nearby ER. If you have cell phone you could call 911 and let them know what hospital you're heading for so there are folks ready to help. Even 2 min heads up helps us get stuff ready.

Page generated in 0.03074 seconds with 8 queries