View Single Post
Old July 5, 2007, 11:55 AM   #8
Smokey Joe

.243 loads

Kirbymagnum--Call me an old traditionalist, but when I was researching loads to use for my son's then-new .243, IMR 4350 was referred to as THE powder to start with for the .243 Win. So I started with it.

The results were so good, as to consistency and accuracy, that I've never experimented with any other powder for that cartridge.

We loaded 95 grain Partitions for him to hunt deer with. They just worked, that's all, so that's all he ever used. We did study deer anatomy, and he was good enough to place his shots, and prepared to pass on iffy shots.

Currently I'm shooting a .243 for accuracy in a rather informal benchrest league. The big difference from the hunting loads is that I'm using Nos. Ballistic Tips, 95 grain, rather than the Partitions. If the Ballistic Tips weren't working so well I'd think about switching to Sierra Matchkings, but as they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it. The league is half over with; I've got a hammerlock on second place.

For hunting accuracy you can use various manufacturers' cases. For target shooting you want all one brand, and weigh them and separate by weight and all that fancy stuff. So I'm currently using a nice set of Lapua cases, but that would definitely NOT impress the deer.

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; July 5, 2007 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Clumsy wording.

Page generated in 0.03629 seconds with 8 queries