View Single Post
Old January 24, 2012, 09:45 AM   #4
carguychris

Quote:
This is a rimfire gun so is the .32 S&WL rimfire?
No, the .32 S&W Long is a centerfire cartridge.

Are you quite sure it's rimfire? Every H&R 632 I've ever examined has been .32 S&W Long, and I was under the impression that the only other caliber H&R offered was .32 S&W, which is also centerfire. However, I'm far from being an H&R expert, so YMMV.

FWIW for some years, H&R marked many of their .32 S&W (not Long) guns with a non-standard ".32 H&R" caliber rollmark. This refers to a slightly lengthened version of .32 S&W produced in the 19th century for Merwin-Hulbert twist-open revolvers; H&R chambered their guns for this round because MH-branded ammo was still on store shelves at the time, but they renamed it to avoid putting their rival's name on their guns, a common practice at the time. .32MH / .32 H&R subsequently went obsolete and was dropped from commercial production, but it reportedly took H&R quite a few years to stop using the designation. However, I'm not sure if this marking was ever used on the 632.

Two important notes:
  • Do NOT confuse .32 H&R with .32 H&R Magnum. As stated in earlier posts, this gun is NOT chambered in .32 H&R Magnum; the Magnum rounds shouldn't fit in it, but if they do, THEY SHOULD NOT BE FIRED. This may result in a gun-destroying and shooter-injuring kB!
  • The common .32ACP (aka .32 Auto or 7.65 Browning) round probably WILL fit in this gun, but I strongly recommend against using it. First, .32ACP is loaded to higher pressures than .32 S&W and .32 S&W Long, which may damage this gun. Second, the bullets are much lighter than those typically used for .32 S&W Long, which usually results in poor accuracy. Third, the undersize rims used on the .32ACP case may cause ejection problems that could damage parts on your revolver.

Page generated in 0.02208 seconds with 8 queries